Genital itching – symptom of diabetes
- Polydipsia – Symptom of Diabetes
- Polyuria – Symptoms of Diabetes
- Polyphagia – Symptom of Diabetes
- Blurred vision – Signs and Symptoms
- Weight loss
- 3 Major Signs of Diabetes
- Fatigue – Symptom of Diabetes
- Genital itching – symptom of diabetes
- Slow healing of wounds
- Type 1 Diabetes Symptoms
- Type 2 Diabetes Symptoms
- High and low blood sugar Levels & Symptoms
- High and Low Blood Pressure Symptoms
Itching and irritation around the genitals can be a sign of high blood glucose levels (hyperglycemia) and diabetes.
Possible causes of genital itching include:
- Low estrogen levels in women
- Pubic lice
- Reactions to chemicals used to wash clothes
- Yeast infections
Itching as a symptom of diabetes
If diabetes is causing the itching in men, it tends to lead to itching under the foreskin of the penis. In women, it can lead to itching of the vulva, the skin on the outside of the vagina.
If diabetes is the cause, you may notice other symptoms of diabetes, such as needing to go to the toilet more often than normal.
If you suspect you may have diabetes, see your doctor for a diagnosis.
Genital itching and diabetes
Itchy privates can occur if blood glucose levels run high, causing sugar to be passed out in the urine. Sugar makes a fertile breeding ground for bacteria and it is a buildup of bacteria around the genitals that causes the itching.
If you’re getting itchy down there as a result of high sugar levels, wash the affected area to clean away any build up of bacteria. Don’t use any harsh soaps that might lead to irritation.
If you can bring your blood glucose levels back to normal, this also should help the itching to subside.
Add A Comment
Last reviewed: January 16, 2015 at 17:04
- TRENDING: https://t.co/kfthtJCBWh Become a forum member here: https://t.co/7AMbMTH2Tf https://t.co/bEMDUD6kT7
- "Mines slightly different in that he's half a tonne of horse! He's a bit boisterous, but he'll never nudge my... https://t.co/9M6qRWjNMX
- DKA is a short term complication of high blood glucose levels in people with diabetes. https://t.co/5nCTMfRNqA