Type 1 And Cannabis?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Dibatonas, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Dibatonas

Dibatonas New Member

many of my friends smoke cannabis and want me to go try it with them, im not really sure if i want to as im worried that it will have a detrimental affect on my diabetes

does anyone have any experience in this?

2. T1Champ

T1Champ New Member

My wife has smoked weed for years and years as a T1 diabetic. She was smoking weed everyday for a few years and the drug itself never had any negative impact on blood sugar as far as I know (I asked her a lot since I was curious)

Some things you have to consider are the fact that marijuana can give you the munchies, it may also cause you to "forget" to take your insulin or to check yourself. So, if you aren't mindful about this, yes, it can cause a big spike in blood sugars.

lavon_dunn likes this.
  3. Cathy

Cathy New Member

Personally I wouldn't do it - the munchies mess with your blood sugars, but also I think we're more susceptible to mental health problems as it is - why risk adding to that by taking a drug that increases your risk of mental illness? You sound like you're considering it because your friends want you to do it - whatever you decide make sure it's your decision for yourself and not just to keep your mates happy - why waste time trying to fit in when you were born to stand out?

4. Cari

Cari New Member

Not a good idea @ all. I would be concerned that when your high you wouldn't be able to feel a " low" coming on. Also; the munchies & scatter-brain (memory) problems would be a concern for me. I have enough problems & I'm afraid smoking pot would just cause more (for me personally).

lavon_dunn likes this.
  5. Langstallion

Langstallion New Member

I've smoked for years. I did so before I was diabetic and have continued since. On occasion it can lower blood sugars slightly, but not significantly. I have good self control when it comes to the munchies, but not everyone does. I wouldn't be concerned as much with it effecting your diabetes as much as it effects your personal life. Only try it if you really want to, not just because your friends insist.

Kennirose likes this.
  6. tawnyad1029

tawnyad1029 New Member

I smoke and I don't have any problems. I do get the munchies at times but I do insulin for what I eat. And I try not to eat too much. I don't have any problems with smoking and my diabetes. :) and pot doesn't increase your risk for a mental illness. So you don't have to worry about that.

Kennirose and Emilykittydog like this.
  7. Kennirose

Kennirose New Member

I've had t1d for 13 years now and I have smoked on and off(when on, it was very consistent) for 3 years now. As long as you monitor your blood sugar and know your body, you'll be fine. Marijuana does NOT increase risk of mental health issues. If anything it helps you feel much better! I was much more productive and less depressed when I smoked. Although smoking weed isn't a great idea for everyone, i enjoy it. Eating and bolusing before smoking also helped me a bit. Or simply smoking, checking my sugar and then eating with a bolus. Just be smart and be aware of your body!

8. ssr20056

ssr20056 New Member

hi, god may bless you, i m rathore from india we researched and made a ayurvedic medicine for type 1 and type two , medicine cost is only 2 dollars, we are selling it cost to cost for social welfare, if hope you will be also interested to get this call us at our mobile no : +91-9990417464 Email : ssr20056@gmail.com

9. Ilya83

Ilya83 New Member

What is Cannabis ??? :confused:

10. mdaas321

mdaas321 New Member

The only side effect I would worry about would be similar to cigarettes. You are introducing carbon dioxide into your blood stream which can affect circulation. If it's occasional that would be minimal, and like others said above, watch the munchies and don't get forgetful and not check your sugar.