Struggling With This

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Duck5373, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Duck5373

Duck5373 New Member

I was diagnosed over 2 years ago and did really, really well. Then in October, I got acute bronchitis and the doctor in the ER gave me prednisone. Not knowing better, i took it. My blood sugar soared and since then, I haven't been able to get my blood sugar back into the great management level I had it.

I am so discouraged and tired. Now I have asthma, a result of all the upper respiratory infections. I am 60 years old and have worked so hard to manage my numbers. Feel like just giving up because it feels like it is a constant battle and I am not getting ahead. Soon as I get one thing together, then something else gets in the way and I am starting all over again. Help, please? Advice, please? I think I am just tired and am still stick.

2. candysays

candysays New Member

Steroids can be a big shock to the system and can through sensitivity to insulin out the window.

If you continue to eat well and take exercise, you should be able to regain your insulin sensitivity and help restore your blood sugar control. The improvement may happen gradually but it is well worth fighting for.

3. Duck5373

Duck5373 New Member

Thanks Candy! I guess I just want it to happen and quickly. Learning to be patient. Its all so new and it seems there are so many things I have to look out for that I wasn't expecting. I just appreciate the response. Sometimes I feel really alone.

candysays likes this.
  4. Dacorem

Dacorem New Member

Wow, Duck, you have mirrored my exact sentiments. Although I have not had good numbers, nor taken steroids. My absolve to put myself in a better position health wise is wearing thin. I feel like i have given up too, and I thought this forum would give me inspiration and advice. Good luck, I wish you the best.

5. colchambers

colchambers New Member

Hi guys,

I know what it's like to feel alone, particularly when you need help. Diabetes is very much a disease about managing sugar so can I ask what you guys are doing to help your bodies manage its sugar. Not trying to judge, it's just such a complex problem so it helps to lay it out there

6. 4ratbags

4ratbags New Member

It can take quite a while for your body to get back on track after a setback. Try not to worry too much as worrying about it won't help your BS levels, just try and make getting yourself well the first priority and I'm sure you will regain your good control with time.