Should I Or Shouldnt I?

Discussion in 'Insulin pumpers' started by T1Champ, Aug 28, 2014.

1. T1Champ

T1Champ New Member

Ive recently gone on to an insulin pump but i just cant get used to it. im quite active in my spare time and enjoy playing sport but i feel like it is getting in the way too much, i now think the pump isnt for me. Does it get easier? Should i stick it out or go back on injections?

2. Khaleesi

Khaleesi New Member

have you got a pouch for it or anything?

3. T1Champ

T1Champ New Member

yeah i have a small one for everyday activities just whilst im at work. im struggling with the sporty side, i enjoy playing football but its just not safe for me to wear an insulin pump and only being able to take it off for an hour means i can only play a full match

4. Dibatonas

Dibatonas New Member

I can't say whether or not you should go back to injections but I would love to have a pump but cant afford one :(

tpangle85 likes this.
  5. kjenkins3024

kjenkins3024 New Member

Ive been on the pump for 12 years. It gets easier. You have to different experiment with different things to see what works for you. Hang in there.

6. vlodnyc

vlodnyc New Member

It may take awhile for you to get use to the pump but once you do if will feel like it parts of your body.

7. bbad66

bbad66 New Member

I got my medtronic on the sixth started using it and love it I've been type 1 for 43 years took 5to8 injections a day major probls with hypos and complications will never go back to MDI first pump and love it

8. Mightymax99

Mightymax99 New Member

Hi all. I've be.en on Medtronics pump for about 2 years Realy takes work to get going. My A1C was 9.2 now 8.2. Slowly going down. Bad nuropathy in feet!

9. Cathy

Cathy New Member

I've had my pump about 7 years. During that time I've competed in figure and power lifting and I've worked as a professional model. I train at least four days a week (but at times did more) and I don't think I coulda done any of that without my pump. As you get used to it you do find ways to deal with it during exercise etc (I usually take mine off for cardio, keep it on for weight training). However it's a personal thing ... my blood sugars were really bad on injections and I had hypos all the time - if I had good control on injections I wouldn't go for a pump.

10. Lcuozzo

Lcuozzo New Member

I've hears there is something called a spi belt that you can wear during sports activities. Try the Medtronic shop site under accessories, cases.

11. arwalden

arwalden New Member

well I use the OmniPod, which is tubeless. Of course at times it gets in my way, but the positives overweigh the negatives all night long

LQ6 likes this.
  12. Laurelstar45

Laurelstar45 New Member

I say stick it out. I've had an insulin pump for about 11 years now and at first I really didn't like it either. After a few weeks though (about two or so months) I started to notice better sugar control, I felt healthier, and it was less of a hassle to care for my health. It does get annoying but I'd say try it a little longer. It take time to get use to.

13. LQ6

LQ6 New Member

I switched to omnipod in October 2015, and it's the best thing I ever did.
    It's tubeless and small and lightweight, sometimes it gets in the way but I'd rather that then injecting again.
    I'd suggest you stick it out or switch pump if you can.

14. Stephanie W

Stephanie W New Member

When I first got my pump last June I had a similar problem. Not so much a sporty type; yet I was always wanting to disconnect for a while because I wasn't used to it. After speaking with my doctor he suggested that instead of suspending my pump. Give the insulin my pump would usually give in that hour. Such as my pump delivers 1.6 units per hour so before disconnecting I give a bolus of 1.6 units; and then reconnect when the hour is up. I would assume this method would work for a longer time as well. Just come back every hour and give the next bolus. Of course, discuss your options with your doctor first.