Recently Diagnosed

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Marinaisabel_13, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Marinaisabel_13

Marinaisabel_13 New Member

Hello everyone! I was diagnosed and hospitalized on Thanksgiving Day with t1 diabetes. How 'bout that huh? It couldn't have been the worst timing (especially with finals these next two weeks) . I had my first visit with the endo today which was exciting, so now I can see normal BS numbers again. Anyway, I would love to hear some advice on being a newbie! I plan on making a change in my diet and exercise as well! Can't wait to hear from some of you. :)

2. Cari

Cari New Member

Good luck to you. I was dx with type 1 about 5 years ago. It's been a real struggle for me. This disease is so complicated. If you ever have any questions I'll try to help you if I can. I was 41 when I was dx. My brother has had type 1 since the age of 2 (43 years). So... in reality I guess I'm the lucky one. My dr dx me with type 2. I kept getting sicker & sicker. I asked to see an endocrinologist...she tested me for the GAD antibodies etc. Sure enough came back type 1. I cried so hard because I've seen the terrible struggles my brother has endured. Also; my GP really upset me because I asked him if he was sure it was type 2. He said he was absolutely positive. I was sooo sick, as I'm sure you were also. I thank God for my endocrinologist. She said she was almost positive I had type 1 even before the blood tests. Good luck to you :)