Pre-diabetes Food Choices

Discussion in 'Diet and weight loss' started by vinceNM, Mar 19, 2015.

1. vinceNM

vinceNM New Member

Diagnosed pre-diabetic & trying to improve food choices. Know there are many equally concerned about this.
    I'm working the sugar and carbs and seeking balanced diet. Upping exercise of course. Many have this experience and looking for straight forward tips. Puzzled by all the hidden sugar news in food - the stuff seems to be everywhere.

2. Millymay

Millymay Member

It's best to have all fresh food and prepare your meals.There isn't any produce without supeadded

3. vinceNM

vinceNM New Member

Thanks Millymay for the advice. Would like know if anyone is experiencing a practical method to balance improving eating health/an my fear of becoming type 1 - and maintaining life in demanding work world. The goal of fresh food, and trying to make a living complicates things for me. Of course I agree preparing own meals with fresh veggies is best. Balancing work demands, fam, etc. and making health the priority - just doesn't work consistently. Sometimes, in order to survive in this fast paced work world - the apple or carrots I meant to carry are not there, or a required business meeting just won't allow for it. So I'm finding some kind of prepared food, or restaurant food becomes a practical necessity. From what I'm reading - hidden sugar/empty calories is a major issue because it is so pervasive, processed packages, fast food, things I'd like to order in a restaurant. I think I've got a handle on the carbs. Guess I'm looking for a practical way to address the sugar issue. Some kind of tool to use when out away from my own kitchen?

4. Millymay

Millymay Member

Yes I agree it is difficult to juggle everything when you work but you also have to decide what's important if you don't have your health you can't work so it's worth taking time out to look after yourself .I'm sure you agree get your BG DOWN to normal then just add the odd fast food and see if you can tolerate it you might find some foods are fine

5. vinceNM

vinceNM New Member

You are right of course, keeping blood glucose to lower levels is key. Working on it. Your advice and encouragement on BG echos what I want to do - thanks. Getting there, and staying there are two different things for me. Can't always just pick off the doc's recommended list. Smart alternatives are also out there and variety keeps me in the game. I have to believe there is some kind of digital tool or rapid fire search engine out there which will promptly weed through the grocery choices to help. It would be perfect if something in your hand could do the search and separate the good from the truly bad products. I'm going to keep looking. Lost of diet stuff, but I want to know more about what I'm buying and putting into my body.

6. Millymay

Millymay Member

You should get a carb app so you can sought your meals before you go to the shops .There are also a lot of good recipe books for low carb meals which could help you you will still have to find the time to make a menu out for the week .But once you have started you will find it easier to keep at it good luck .

7. Khaleesi

Khaleesi New Member