Type 1 Partners Mood Swings

Discussion in 'Ask a question' started by Anonymous, Oct 31, 2015.

?

How to cope with your partners mood swings?

1. Tips

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Help

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As a wife of someone who suffers with type 1 diabetes, I was just wondering what was the best way to deal with your partners mood swings? And how it makes partners out there feel?

2. Millymay

Millymay Member

I'm a diabetic and I have mode swings and I'm horrible at times its usually when my bloodsugar is high or very low I do recognise the signs and try to correct it ,Doesn't your husband recognise when his bloodsugar alters .! My Family tend to ignore me as they know it doesn't last long ,

3. rox08

rox08 New Member

Thank you for your response, Yes he does but his mood swing can last quite a long time, even when he's regulated his sugars. Do you find that it's just quick mood swings or do you also get angry? And we have a little boy, who is too little so doesn't understand just yet, but I'd like to know what the best thing I can do so he doesn't feel bad. Thanks

4. Millymay

Millymay Member

Yes I do get very angry for no reason and sometimes it last along time so I try to go somewhere where I can be on my own .The best thing for me is to be left on my own till it's past but the more my family try to reason with me the worse it gets! Does your husband recognise he is being unreasonable.?

5. rox08

rox08 New Member

Hi,Thank you again for your reply. He does sometimes but will tend to take it out on me, even if I say something nice, it ends with an unnecessary comment said with anger, I'd rather avoid those and not get fustrated myself because it's conpletely out of his control, it can just be challenging when he is in one of those moods, I'm adult so I can differentiate and understand but I wondered what was the best thing to do for our son, so he doesn't feel fustrated, purely because he's only 14 months old and it will take a long time for him to understand why his dad is in an angry mood. ​

6. Millymay

Millymay Member

The best thing to do is take your little boy out of his way ,as I know it's hard to control these out bursts that's why as soon as I feel the change of mode I walk away as it will only get out of hand .I'm ashamed to admit it but I also react horribly to
    ward's my husband etc I hate the way I behave.It's best to put distance between you that will give him time to reflect on his behaviour,I feel rearly ashamed and EVERYTIME I tell myself it won't happen again but it does but not as often as it did.

7. rox08

rox08 New Member

Thank you and honestly you shouldn't and don't ever feel ashamed, I don't feel that my husband should feel any kind of shame, just understanding, I know it's something that is completely out of a persons control sometimes (suffering from diabetes) but it's nice to hear about other people's experiences, and how they deal with it and their feelings. So avoid feeling ashamed, because none of it is your fault. Do you warn your husband when you feel your mood changing or are you unaware until it's happened? Just wondered as my husband struggles with communicating that he's feeling a certain way.

8. Millymay

Millymay Member

It's hard as I don't think my husband understand the way diabetes affect you and I have always dealt with it myself as that's how I am .I don't find it easy to talk about ,He always knows when I'm having a hypo and that's because that doesn't affect my mode swings and as long as I have my glucose tablets it's over quite quickly,I don't tell my husband as he wants always to help and fuses over me and that makes the situation worse I prefer to deal with it my way perhaps this is unfair ! I understand that your husband finds it difficult to communicate because I do !

9. LQ6

LQ6 New Member

My husband tells me I'm unreasonable and angry but only when they're low, I usually feel silly and very apologetic after the fact.
    I didn't have signs for a long time so he'd always see my levels change before me, and hated the fact he'd have to tell me to check. I catch them now and like Millymay I hate the fuss so don't say anything as it's usually over quickly.

10. Millymay

Millymay Member

At the moment I'm having a lot of highs and it rearly makes me cross as I react then realise what's happened and have to apologise,Eating humble pie isn't me ,My husband isn't well and having hospital appointments nearly every week puts me under pressure ,I won't to be there for him but when he fusses that doesn't help either of us,