Type 2 Newly Diagnosed

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by LadyStarlea, Dec 16, 2014.

1. LadyStarlea

LadyStarlea New Member

Hi everyone.

I was just diagnosed type 2 last week where I had a sugar level over 400. I have yet to talk to a diabetes educator/nutritionist though have been watching my carbs aiming for 30 to 60 grams of carbs a meal. Not sure if snacking is allowed and trying to eat around the same time each meal but never been good about that with the crazy schedule I have bussing my two kids around for school. ..After school things and scouts.

I had gestational with four insulin shots a day during the pregnancy of my youngest who will be 10 this January. So I knew it was a matter of time I'd get the full blown version.

Currently I'm one just one shot a day of 30 units of lantus with 2 pills of metaforim er for this 1st week. Next week will be 3 pills then after another week 4 where I'll be staying at. My sugars are slowly coming down to midrange....so far lowest read was at 114 with highest 312 since starting on the insulin and meds.

I'm from the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area of Michigan if anyone is interested. Sorry for the long intro.

2. Lori

Lori New Member

Hi...my name is Lori and I was just diagnosed in July. I am still learning how to control this monster!!!!! Nice to meet u!!!

3. Skipcody

Skipcody New Member

You are on the right track! You will find that eating low carb is the main trick! I am very low carb <50 grams a day and have Ben able to get off most of my meds. Don't get me wrong it is difficult, but that is ok with me the complications would be much worse. You can do this. Keep up your research, ask a ton of questions and always question your doctors. Doctors are great but they are human and have a lot of people to work with, they are not always correct. :)

4. Jibber Jabber

Jibber Jabber New Member

I was diagnosed type 2 this past October..put on 2000 MG of Metformin a day...tried to follow the "recommended" diabetic diet that is put out there in all the pamphlets and couldn't get my numbers under control.....went very low carb..under 30 a day....now I am down to 500 mg of metformin and My latest A1C is 5.6.....it is rough when you are first starting out because there is just so much information to take in......my fasting BG was almost identical to yours at my diagnosis....4 mos later it is under control...YOU CAN DO THIS...!!!

5. Millymay

Millymay Member

I found I was much better when I started on insulin i've found its much easier to control so it will get better just persevere .Low carbs and more fat does also help but I'm still getting my head round that.

6. 4ratbags

4ratbags New Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. It does take time to get your head around everything. Mine was nearly 500 on diagnosis and I was on 3 x Metformin a day but I now eat LCHF, <25g carbs per day and am now diet controlled, last HbA1c 5.4%. You have found the forum so you are on the right track. You might find a lot of the advice given here contradicts what the professionals are telling you but everyone here is speaking from experience so you are in good hands.