My Son Has Recently Been Diagnosed With Type 1 Diabetes Weeks Before Starting School

Discussion in 'Ask a question' started by Air_Dare, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Air_Dare

Air_Dare New Member

My son has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and he's starts kindergarten in the fall, any tips or experiences you could share would be appreciated. Also, should I get a pump, or should I stick with stomach injections?

Thanks in advance.

2. Khaleesi

Khaleesi New Member

bless his heart, i think maybe stick with injections until hes a little older and see how well he copes with testing himself while you arent there. if he gets on ok then maybe consider a pump when he gets a little older :)

Millymay likes this.
  3. Air_Dare

Air_Dare New Member

That's what I was thinking, and he doesn't seem to mind the injections most days, which is surprising to me.

4. 951laree

951laree New Member

My cousin was about that time we found out that he had type one and he is really good with it

5. Cathy

Cathy New Member

I think if his control is good on injections then why mess with it, although he does have his teenage years ahead of him when his blood sugars could be affected by hormones and if you want him to start on a pump before then it's probably best if he's well used to it before that starts in my opinion. You do have a few years to make that decision though - why don't you worry about settling in at school for the moment and then think about a pump again in a few months? :)