Just Diagnosed With Type 2

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Meg n, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Meg n

Meg n New Member

Hello!!! My name is Meg on Friday I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I haven't seen any Dr's yet. I had gestational diabetes with my daughter but that was a few years ago and I don't really remember much. I've already made changes to my diet and already sick of salad and veggies. I feel so defeated right now, I'm only 26 and now I have diabetes and high blood pressure! Does anyone have any words or encouragement or any wisdom they could pass on to me?

Thanks so much!!

2. LadyStarlea

LadyStarlea New Member

Hi Meg. I was only diagnosed type two just before the Christmas holiday. Though I don't have the high blood pressure problem you do. I have learned that if you budget for it you can eat what you want in moderation. I use an app called lose it to track all my food and carbs I eat which has helped me stay on track. I have even found some store brought meatballs that 6 equal 5 g carbs, 12 g protein, 45 mg cholesterol and 520 mg sodium. Not sure what your nutrition requirements are but if you read the labels and track your food intake it should help.

3. vinceNM

vinceNM New Member

Hi Meg, I'm pre-diabetic with high BG readings. Keep a positive outlook - I'm trying as well. I now watch what I eat closely and exercise with long walks and biking. Sugar in my foods has been a problem. One thing seems to help with that problem - I picked up Show Me The Sugar app for my phone. I run my foods through that. Very surprised by how much sugar is in regular foods I had been eating. So I'm doing a better job avoiding some foods which now seem obviously harmful. Hope you will control your diabetes and live a healthier long life!!!!

4. candysays

candysays New Member

Hi Meg, you say you're sick of salad and veg. A good vegetable intake is important but how about the rest of your diet?

Do you have a particular approach (eg low fat or low carb)?

It's definitely possible to eat tasty and healthy food without feeling you're starving yourself so keep with it. :)