If Im Type 1 Can I Still Get A Tattoo

Discussion in 'Ask a question' started by Air_Dare, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Air_Dare

Air_Dare New Member

ive wanted a tattoo ever since i was younger but as soon as i was diagnosed with diabetes i was put off the idea, my partner tells me i shouldnt have one because it could affect my blood glucose. ive seen some really cool ones with diabetes on them and wanted to know if they are actually ok to have? has anyone had them and did you have any problems?

2. marissa_Lynn

marissa_Lynn New Member

Hi there, I've been a type 1 diabetic for 11 years now & recently (a couple of months ago) got my first tattoo & I had no complications whatsoever. I checked my blood sugar every hour throughout the tattoo session & they ran anywhere from 90-120! If you get a tattoo, that's what I recommend..checking blood sugar every hour & rubbing an ice cube over tattoo when you get home & rubbing a small amount of A&D ointment (smaller than a dime size), Tattoo Goo (you can get it at Walmart), Auquaphor or any Fragrance Free Moisturizing Lotion WITH CLEAN HANDS! Hope this was useful information to you & good luck!!

3. yml31

yml31 New Member

Wow, this was very helpful. I've always wanted to get a tattoo also but because of the Diabetes didn't think it was a good ideal!! :)

4. Eric B

Eric B New Member

If your control is good get whatever tattoo you want!! Go for it and be happy, it will not effect your blood sugars, I have one and have no problems at all.

5. Angela

Angela New Member

I have a tattoo and didn't have any complications.