How Much Lantus Do You Take

Discussion in 'Ask a question' started by Danbetes, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Danbetes

Danbetes New Member

I was recently diagnosed 1.5. My hospital discharge orders were 15 units of Lantus a day. I followed this but noticed my levels were steadily going up throughout the day even though I consumed nothing. so I have been upping my dosage as well as halfing the dose and taking every 12 hours. I'm just curious how much others have to take daily to maintain steady levels. Male 190# 39yr

2. candysays

candysays New Member

As a recently diagnosed type 1.5, you should be making at least a half decent quantity of your own insulin.

I take 26 units of Levemir and 24 units of Humalog in a day, so a total of 50 units. However, I have had type 1 diabetes for over 20 years so my pancreas will be making very little insulin of its own.

3. mtashie

mtashie New Member

Type 2 diabetic. I take 20 units at night and 50 units in the morning. This seems to be holding my numbers down if I eat properly!

4. feeling_groovy

feeling_groovy New Member

mtashie, are you taking Lantus?

5. mtashie

mtashie New Member

Yes feeling_groovy.

6. artisticforge

artisticforge New Member

I was put straight on lantus, 15 units in the morning to start. That will be adjusted when i see the diabetes management person in a week. I notice my numbers climbing throughout the day so i have to watch what i am eating.