How Many Carbs Is Too Many?

Discussion in 'Low carb diet' started by Khaleesi, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Khaleesi

Khaleesi New Member

Hi all I have been doing a very low carb (ketogenic) diet for a few months now and its suiting me quite well, but im curious to know how many carbs you guys eat a day and what kind of levels you are getting??

2. Dibatonas

Dibatonas New Member

I have probably about 200g carbs a day.

3. Khaleesi

Khaleesi New Member

what are your levels like with this amount of carbs??

4. Dibatonas

Dibatonas New Member

They're alright but could be better

5. tag201279

tag201279 New Member

I'm on 30g of carbs per meal. Thinking I could go lower cause even with just 30 my sugars aren't the best.

6. Air_Dare

Air_Dare New Member

anywhere between 170g-200g a day is good for me. im not too strict though particularly on special occasions like birthdays and thanksgiving. its important to have treat days as it keeps you motivated. easy to fall off the wagon if you're too strict and heavy on yourself

7. Millymay

Millymay Member

I have just started cutting down on the carbs but I don't know enough about it all I do know is I've already started to loose weight which is good for me If anyone can advise an older member it would be appreciated.

8. LadyStarlea

LadyStarlea New Member

I was only diagnosed type 2 last week. Been going low carb since. I recently read in a diabetes magazine that 30 to 60 grams of carbs a meal was what was suggested as a good target and since have been shooting for staying in that range. Really can't wait till I can talk to someone in diabetes education about it as I still feel hungry and not sure that it is it ok to have snacks between the three major meals.

9. candysays

candysays New Member

I'm type 1 and take in around 60-100g per day.

I used to follow a low fat diet and that meant taking larger doses of insulin than I do now and dealing with big swings from low to high and back.

I think the best thing you can do is to test your sugar levels -including before and 1 or 2 hours after meals- and see how close to the sugar level targets you're getting.

If you're consistently getting too high sugar levels, consider dropping your daily carbohydrate level down.

10. Jibber Jabber

Jibber Jabber New Member

Wow...I am also doing a keto diet...I started at 20 grams of carbs per day..but find that I can go up to 30 and stay in ketosis...Everyone is different...they do sell urine strips to test yourself....I do try to stick to 20 grams a day..because I find I have much better glucose control there...but sometimes I can hear the salty crunchy nuts calling my name from the kitchen when I am watching television....and well it would be rude not to answer..

LeahElaine and prj like this.
  11. Millymay

Millymay Member

The low carbs isn't difficult to follow but I have a sweet tooth and I also treat myself to a nut bar every once in awhile I take a few extra units of insulin 30 minutes before I EAT it so my blood sugar don't splke this way I don't feel guilty.

12. Dennis48

Dennis48 New Member

I set a goal of less than 150mg per day. My last a1c was 7.

13. prj

prj New Member

Yes, protein snacks with very low or no carbs

14. prj

prj New Member

My levels stay low only if I stay under 30 grams daily. I eat mostly meat and green vegetables or my levels soar up above 200.

15. dolpj001_

dolpj001_ New Member

A good v target for snacks is less then 15 carbs

16. 4ratbags

4ratbags New Member

I aim for under 25gr carbs per day and it keeps my BS at non-diabetic levels.

17. Vern1959

Vern1959 New Member

Hi there! I have been LCHF for 4 years now with an HbA1c of 4.7%. I keep my carbs under 50 grams a day, that works best for me. I do not eat any processed carbs but do indulge in 1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oats now and again. I eat mostly Meat, Chicken, Fish, veggies like Sugar Snap peas, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Carrots, Sweet Potato, Butternut etc.