First Time Insulin User

Discussion in 'Type 2 diabetes' started by 2167phillip, Dec 13, 2014.

1. 2167phillip

2167phillip New Member

I have been prescribed Lantus solo star insulin for my type 2 diabetes. My doctor said to begin with 2 units and increase the dosage 2 units per day until my blood sugar levels come down to normal. I am already up to 12 units and still my readings are in the 300's how much am I going to have to take before they normalize

2. Cari

Cari New Member

It really depends...I think I started @ 14 u. Went up to 37 u

3. LadyStarlea

LadyStarlea New Member

I was just diagnosed type 2 last week. My blood sugar at the time was over 400 so my doctor started me with 30 units of Lantus a day plus metaforim er which I start with 2 pills increasing by one pill after a week till I take 4 pills a day. On top of this I've been watching my carb intake...maybe a bit on the extreme side on low carbs as I still feel hungry but my sugars have been going down slowly this first week...will be a full week doing this come Friday.

All I can say is talk to your doctor and try watching your carb intake. Might help.

4. tpangle85

tpangle85 New Member

How many carbs do you eat a day?

5. tbuck5

tbuck5 New Member

I'm taking 24 units of Lantus. But I also take Novolog at mealtimes. Do you also take a mealtime insulin?

6. lauraquinlivan

lauraquinlivan New Member

I did when I was on Lantus. Had to take mealtime insulin with every meal. I'm on a pump now. No more shots.

7. 1Dad2kidz

1Dad2kidz New Member

Did he not prescribe any slow acting insulin? I think that would help you out lots

8. Sugarball

Sugarball New Member

I was diagnosed a year ago with type 2 and still learning the ropes. I have been taught that my levels should be between 4 & 7. But I have read several posts here where levels are reported in the hundreds. Could someone please explain?

9. cma_trawma

cma_trawma New Member

After years of taking oral meds, it finally became necessary to start insulin. So last fall I was started on Victoza. Within a couple of days I became very ill. That was stopped and I started on Lantus 12u at bedtime. I also take 10mg glipizide in the a.m. and 1000mg metformin ER twice a day. After about a month and increasing to over 40 units, the injections hurt so much that I was switched to Levemir. But I'm still experiencing pain at times but not as severe. Has anyone ever experienced pain from your insulin? I was in healthcare and have given thousands of injections so I know that's not it. It's the insulin itself. Thanks for any ideas. I'm glad I found this group.

10. Millymay

Millymay Member

o_O:(s. I was on tablets for almost ten years then it was necessary for me to go on insulin which is a mix 30 minutes before meals .I started with 14 units and increased 2units each time until my bloods settled then I was aloud to reduce it My highest was 28 units I have now been able to reduce it to 20units which seems to be right for me .I put weight on when I went on to insulin which I find hard to loose.Luckily I had no problems when l started insulin.:rolleyes::oops:

11. vikki

vikki New Member

I to have put on weight even watching my food intake. My dr. said it was the insulin. I'm at a, stand still as,far,as,losing the weight.

Itsthefish likes this.
  12. Dennis48

Dennis48 New Member

I have a goal of 45 grams per meal.

13. Millymay

Millymay Member

I'm still not able to loose weight I think you get to a certain point then it seems to stop ,This is the heaviest I've never been and it's not that I haven't tried,It is so depressing,