Type 1 Does Anyone Else Have This Going On?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Dibatonas, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Dibatonas

Dibatonas New Member

Every ~6-12 months my carb to insulin ratio does a back flip and lands in some new weird position.

I find this out by either bottoming out all of a sudden or waking up one morning to a friendly reading of 600+. Here lately it's doing this new thing where it tries to bottom out on me when I'm a sleep, and when I'm awake it tries to sky rocket. I've put myself on a 6 carb a day diet (15g = 1 carb) and I am still having to take very big shots to deal with the small meal portions.

If I stay up late, I just eat sandwiches every few hours to keep myself from bottoming out. So just curious... anyone else feel like their body is out to kill them?

2. Anneleyallen

Anneleyallen New Member

Yes I do

3. Brittney O.

Brittney O. New Member

Hi,
    Maybe try eating something before you go to bed that is more consistent & that will carry you through the nightly like light yogurt or peanut butter & jelly sandwich? I've had the same issues but I am on the insulin pump so I adjust my settings & usually if I eat a yogurt or peanut butter before I go to bed,it helps me :)

Vicki Tyson and yml31 like this.
  4. BillHyper0

BillHyper0 New Member

I agree with Brittney. It would be better to have a stab;e eating regime and have the same sorta snack at night than eating continously. Failing that , speak to your doctor your regime may need changing all together!

5. Cathy

Cathy New Member

Yeah my ratios change every few months - really annoying!!

What I do know is that my daily total kinda trys to stay the same, so if I'm consistently eating 400g carbs a day, and then start a diet on 200g a day, my total daily dose will drop initially but then my ratios will change so after 2 or 3 weeks I'm back to the same total daily dose as I needed with 400g - I think it illustrates how our metabolism adjusts itself to what we eat.

6. Millymay

Millymay Member

• I don't know how any body can eat 400carbs a day I'm still eating the same as I always have and its no where near that amount if cutting carbs u loose weight I should be as thin as a pin .I have a low carb app and its very good but the things I eat are low carb.And I'm not very adventurous when it comes to food I stick to what I know.

tawnyad1029 likes this.
  7. tpangle85

tpangle85 New Member

Are you on daily injections or a pump?

8. Millymay

Millymay Member

I'm on insulin 3 times a day and I do manage to keep my BG in limits set by my diabetic nurse but loosing the few pounds I need to doesn't happen .I should see my diabetic nurse in the next week so will see what new ideas she has.I was told once I didn't eat enough!!

9. mdaas321

mdaas321 New Member

I recently had something similar where my BS was doing all kinds of strange things. I tried and to adjust every which way and it did not make sense, was very random. Long story short is I am pretty skinny, and tend to take my shots 90% in my stomach. I have a couple saggy spots in my main areas I shoot, and did not realize when you get those your insulin does not absorb properly. May not apply, but wanted to throw that out there.