Diabetes Got Me Down!

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Rhi, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Rhi

Rhi New Member

Hello I was diagnosed with Diabetes about two years ago. Was first diagnosed about 2 years ago and have been on insulin for about a year. I was initailly told I had insulin resistance (type 2) and was put on oral medications which did not work. So my dr ran a c-peptide and found that i was hardly producing any insulin. Although I am on insulin my sugar is still up and down all day. I work very long 12 shifts at hospital that is 45 mins away from where I live. My work days between driving and work are usually 16 hr days. I am also a pre-nursing student. Lately I have been feeling weak, exhausted and have been getting debilitating migraines. Overall I just feel like crap. I am so moody at work and just count down the hours until I can be back in my bed. I do eat well and do work out. I am starting to think that my body can't handle things the used too and that I can't function at times. I am only 27 and its so frustrating I feel like I can't function like a "normal person". I am just putting too much strain on my body? I have talked to my dr and have had blood work and everything else is normal. I take vitamins and nothing seems to boost my energy. I guess I am looking to see if anyone else feels this way or has had his experience with their diabetes.

2. candysays

candysays New Member

Having diabetes and managing insulin is tough even when you're not doing 16 hour days.

How have your blood sugar levels been? -as this could influence the energy you have through the day

Don't expect miracles from vitamins as they don't usually have an effect unless you know specifically that you have deficiency. Try to work what's likely the root source of the lack of energy. It could simply be the long days and changing work hours (which is already very demanding) and sugar levels could be playing a part too.

3. Rhi

Rhi New Member

My peek is in the morning I take 20 units of lantus before bed and my sugar is usually in the low 200's in the mornings through out the day its up and down especially when I am at work

4. candysays

candysays New Member

Sugar levels above 200 mg/dl are relatively high and this could be affecting your tiredness. If your levels are either too high or too low overnight, this can lead to tiredness during the day.

Migraines could be caused by a whole range of things but headaches can sometimes be linked with dehydration. If you have any other signs of dehydration, eg dry mouth, make sure you're getting enough water.

Big swings in blood sugar levels can also contribute to tiredness. You say you're up and down during the day which can commonly happen with type 1 diabetes when leading a busy life.

Ideally you'd want to flatten out some of the swings in blood sugar. The one thing that helped me do this was testing regularly (7 times a day and sometimes more), gradually reducing my carbohydrate intake and gradually increasing my fat intake.

When I say increasing my fat intake I mean using relatively natural, healthy sources of fat such as full fat yoghurt, cheese, nuts, olive oil, avocado etc.

If you do choose to reduce your carbohydrate intake, do this gradually and make sure you test often to avoid hypos catching you by surprise. Also don't take any risks when driving. A higher sugar level whilst driving is better than a low blood sugar and an accident.

Sorry if I'm telling you anything that's too obvious. I know you're smart as you wouldn't be doing nursing.

The low level of C-peptide usually (but not always) suggests type 1 diabetes (or LADA) rather than type 2. I see you're only 27 and this also would suggest that type 1 diabetes is more likely, even if you do show some signs of insulin resistance.

5. ssr20056

ssr20056 New Member

hi, god may bless you, i m rathore from india we researched and made a ayurvedic medicine for type 1 and type two , medicine cost is only 2 dollars, we are selling it cost to cost for social welfare, if hope you will be also interested to get this call us at our mobile no : +91-9990417464 Email : ssr20056@gmail.com