Type 2 Diabetes, Exercise Calories/carbs

Discussion in 'Type 2 diabetes' started by Equitype, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Equitype

Equitype New Member

Hi, I am type 2 and am trying to keep it under control with diet. Doc said 45 carb meals three times a day, and three snacks at 15 carbs. 1200 calories in a day.

So if I do exercises, like 20 minutes three times on the elliptical I am burning at least 600 calories in that hour. Do I eat more carbs to make up for it? So confused.

2. biffacirc72

biffacirc72 New Member

How are you burning 600+ cals on the elliptical in an hour? When I do an intensive workout on an elliptical for that long (fairly high setting, 4+ miles) I don't get over 400 cals burned. Are you sure that's right?

3. Cathy

Cathy New Member

After exercise have an extra snack - something with carbs and protein but low fat, eg a protein shake, or rice cakes and cottage cheese or a half a chicken sandwich (I'm a competing power lifter / bodybuilder and I have T1)

Wills_unit likes this.
  4. laura d382014

laura d382014 New Member

hi everyone i am new.and i have type 2 and it has not been long for me.i was told by my doc back in may .and let me just say that it is very hard

Nana2001 likes this.
  5. Nana2001

Nana2001 New Member

I am not new to Diabetes but I am new to this forum. Always looking for good advice.

6. DougInPA

DougInPA New Member

Hi all, I was diagnosed with diabetes a couple of years ago. I also control it with diet, exercise, and and metformine. I exercise about 3 times a week on a treadmill for about an hour. It burns around 6hundred to 7 hundred calories. I dont think 1,000 calories a day is enough, atleast not for me but Im a male, 6'0 210 pounds.

7. 4ratbags

4ratbags New Member

Wow 180gr carbs per day, I would hate to know what my BS would be like if I ate that many. I try not to go over 25gr per day.