Breakfast Trouble! :(

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by ReggaeFox, Jun 26, 2015.

1. ReggaeFox

ReggaeFox New Member

Hi guys, new here so be nice! What do people eat for breakfast? I'm really struggling to control my blood sugar, particularly in the morning. I really love a big breakfast, and need to change it :( what do other people start the day with which is tasty but won't send my blood sugars through the roof?

2. fjvieyra_

fjvieyra_ New Member

I try to keep number's in check, but sometimes (wow). I have coffee and a small breakfast.
    I try a bowl of oatmeal/raisins/teaspoon of brown sugar/1 slice of dry toast.
    2nd choice a sausage patty/scrambled eggs and diced peppers and maybe diced onions 1 slice dry toast.
    Or some days I'll have a medium sized pancake/ sugar free syrup
    That usually keeps me till lunch
    Now that's just me, after I have my meds and 30 units of insulin .

3. Laurelstar45

Laurelstar45 New Member

What I have learned is you can still have that big breakfast. Here is what you need to do so you don't spike. Carefully calculate how many carbs (if you're on a pump) or how much insulin (if you use syringes) you need. Make sure you take your insulin for your food at least 15-20 minutes fire fore eating. If you do this it give the insulin time to start bring your sugars down. That way when you get you'll end up raising your sugar with food but because the insulin will be actively working you won't have a major spike. When I do this I usually only spike to 150-160

4. Almadina111

Almadina111 New Member

I've been a Type 1 for 24 years.
    As breakfast, I can have a huge plate of egg white with some cheese, veggies, turkey sausage! It's low in carbs and it keeps me going!!